Acne is very common especially among young people and one of the best ways to prevent acne pimples and breakouts is to avoid foods that cause acne. It is important to note that food does not cause acne directly but there are certain food items that are known to aggravate acne causing conditions. So if you have acne prone skin, you must take note of these food items and avoid their consumption as far as possible to prevent your breakouts.
1) Dairy Products – Dairy products such as ice cream, butter, processed cheese top the list of foods that cause acne. Dairy products contain high fat plus they are derived from milk from pregnant cows which is rich in hormones. These hormones enhance sebum production which gets trapped in skin pores leading to acne. So you must avoid high fat dairy products to prevent acne pimples and breakouts.
2) Fats – Foods rich in trans fats are not only bad for health but they are amongst worst foods that cause acne. The trans fats present in food items can alter insulin levels in your blood thereby leading to increase in hormonal activity. This in turn leads to increase in sebum production and acne breakouts. Avoid food items rich in trans fats such as donuts, cakes, cookies, frozen and packaged food, fries, fast food etc. to prevent breakouts in the future.
3) Processed foods – Processed items are big culprits as far as foods that cause acne are concerned. Not only do they contain high amounts of preservatives, additives, flavors, colors but also sugars and carbohydrates which are bad for acne prone skin. Moreover processed foods are difficult to digest which leads to increase in toxins and allergic reactions thereby leading to increase in acne breakouts.
4) Caffeine – Caffeine is bad for acne prone skin since it elevates the stress levels and disturbs the sleep patterns. Both these conditions are known to worsen the acne problem. So you must avoid high caffeine food items such as chocolate, coffee, energy drinks, sodas and tea to prevent pimples and breakouts.
5) Alcohol – Alcohol is another food item that can lead to increase in acne pimples and breakouts. Alcohol enhances hormonal activity plus it can lead to increase in stress levels and disturbance in sleep patterns which are big contributors to acne. So avoid drinking binges to prevent future acne breakouts.